What Does Venus Retrograde Mean?
Venus represents beauty and love, but she also represents money and value. As a result, when the Goddess V goes retrograde, we have a major rethink about who and what we hold near and dear. However, it's often a good idea to wait until you let something or someone go until after Venus once again flounces her skirts, does a shapely pirouette, and resumes direct motion.
Venus retrogrades about every 18 months or so. For Taurus and Libra, who are “ruled” by Venus, the retrograde can be six weeks of ugly: no one loves them, everything sucks, and life is decidedly unfair! Yet we will all feel this way to some extent, depending on where the retrograde happens in our birth chart.
All of us will feel the energy slow down in relationship matters and money. Collectively, we'll be pouting a bit, as gifts, goodies, and even bad romances are hard to come by. “Thwarted” is a word that springs to mind.
Just as communications unravel or are delayed/misconstrued when Mercury goes retrograde, our feelings can unravel or face a reversal during a Venus retrograde.
Relationships can come undone as something tugs at our heartstrings – something doesn’t feel right after all. Are we just second-guessing ourselves? Is this the proverbial cold feet as we cast aside the slippers of commitment and want to go wandering off barefoot into some enchanted land of Oz with a new love? There’s no place like home, we may discover, when Venus turns direct and we discover that new love was no more than a puppet master pulling our strings and telling us what we wanted to hear.
Do's and Don'ts During Venus Retrograde
Just as we don’t make major commitments by signing contracts during a Mercury retro, we don’t want to make major love or money commitments during Venus Retrograde.
- Try to avoid getting engaged or married or becoming exclusive.
- Don’t break the bank on funding a new business and don’t “speculate to accumulate,” because your judgment and timing may be misguided.
- Don’t buy a house. Wait to decorate, as your normally exceptional taste may go a bit too shabby rather than chic during a Venus retro cycle.
- Same thing with wardrobe picks---that piece you bought to make a statement may end up making more of a stink as you realize pleather doesn’t breathe too well…and you look more like Joan of Arc in epaulets than Joan Jett in rocker chic.
- And for the love of botox, do not get any type of dermatological or plastic surgery procedure! As mama used to say, “Do you want your face to freeze like that?”
Good Things to Do During a Venus Retrograde
Become re-acquainted with your own value. How can you honor yourself with greater self-care -- which includes getting rid of toxic behaviors and toxic people.
Adjust your attitude. Disappointments will happen during a #Venus retrograde. See them as redirecting you to something better. Rejection is protection.
Stay strong if exes resurface. Remember an X stands for poison. You don’t need to drink their toxic Kool Aid. Flutter your eyelashes and walk on by.
Toss out old beauty products, make-up, skin care items. Clean your make-up and hair brushes. Re-discover a scent you used to love (but don’t buy new perfume now!).
Go on a spending detox. Don’t buy anything except essentials such as food, gas, public transport pass. Re-evaluate your relationship to money and what you own. Which possessions pass the Marie Kondo Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up test of “sparking joy” when you hold them?
Upcoming Venus Retrograde Cycles
- October 6, 2018 - Scorpio to November 16, 2018 - Libra
- May 13, 2020 - Gemini to June 25, 2020 - Gemini
- December 19 2021 - Capricorn to January 29, 2022 - Capricorn
- July 23, 2023 - Leo to September 4, 2023 - Leo
Don't sell yourself short in any way or let others diminish your worth. If a bargain is truly a bargain, and your budget can handle it, then by all means, shop. But know the worth of all things---and whether or not you are willing to pay the price.
Ultimately, Venus Retrograde means to exercise caution in all matters of the heart and finances.
How are you feeling about the upcoming Venus Retrograde? Let me know in the comments.